Research

The goal of this project was ultimately to create an identity and packaging design for a fictitious boxed wine company. My research started with the product: biodynamic wine, its significance and the entirety of its process. Biodynamic is organic but goes several steps further such as making the wine in conjunction with the positions of the sun, moon, stars, and burying certain objects like cow horn to increase the fertility of the soil.

Next, I came up with my target market: young professionals(21–35) looking for a cost effective but quality wine that aligns with their green and healthy lifestyle. With this stage also came the challenge of foreseeing possible problems and first impressions that the design should address. First is the hurdle of boxed wine as opposed to bottled wine and the stigma that it is not the same quality. Second is the size of the box which can be misleading, but in truth it can hold two bottles worth of wine. 

 
 

 

Logo

I started with free word association and after going through my list I combined related words to make around 20 different sketches. Based on critiques and my own judgement I narrowed it down to four ideas. Most of my ideas involved lines or waves of some sort, depicting vines, rays of light, ripples of wine, or the path of the moon and sun. The second sketch above is the one I moved forward with, however I still felt it was too traditional looking for my target market. I wanted to shoot for something a bit cleaner and eye catching

 
 

 

Identity

Having the logo done, the next step in the identity was the type to pair with the logo. I wanted something classy and modern but not too rigid. This ended up being Avenir Next because the proportions of the capitals were very ordered and modern as opposed to classical proportions such as with Futura, and furthermore Frutiger's elegant hand is present even in a geometric face, creating the right tone I was looking for. Using small caps for subtle improvements in proportion, density, and spacing I rounded the corners very subtly to echo the organic nature of the logo. For the packaging itself I wanted a serif with lively proportions but modern appearance. Lucas de Groot's TheSerif was exactly what I needed, a bit clunkier than Avenir, which offered a nice contrast.

For color I opted for a deep red to associate the brand with wine. pairing that with a lighter red for wave patterns and then a 90% black for more depth and 10% black for wave patterns on white.

 
 

 

Stationery

I wanted to carry this idea of waves and rays throughout so the letterhead and envelopes have the pattern across the whole surface, light enough to not be distracting but enough to make it feel alive and luxurious. The business cards needed more impact so I applied the texture on a border and left the inner panel clear to provide a resting place for the eye.

 
BCMock1.jpg
 

 

Packaging

Creating the packaging after having developed the identity was an interesting problem especially when adapting this lively identity and pattern to a static geometric shape like a cube. Going back to the issues I foresaw at the beginning I thought that the front of the package should indicate the equivalent amount in terms of bottles. For the design itself I based that on my observations when out researching the way the product would be presented and sold.

At the liquor store, the boxed wine was tucked away furthest from the door and seemed to receive the least care in terms of shelf presentation. That meant that in order to be seen, a package has to stand out; luxurious design may not cut it, especially if it is just in black and white. To get the punch necessary I emulated the idea on the business cards, namely using a border with a deeper color and pattern and an area of flat color to catch the eye, on the package this color was significantly brighter to draw attention. I wanted to show that the contents of this package was in fact wine, so I gave the surface of the shape some ripples. This pattern went all around the box giving the appearance of wine in a crate. The 90% black above the bright color enhanced the overall impact.